I am cleaning up the first two page story of the three I have planned for a new anthology. I'm pretty excited about how it turned out, and it's always nice to be wrapping up a project. Even when it's only a part of my total contribution.
This will be my first, pure auto biographical piece. I did my best to get the characters proportions as close to realistic as possible. The characters heads are probably still a little big, but I'm proud of how everyone's limbs work in the book. I spent many days rowing a boat around, so I wanted to make sure everyone in my story believeably paddled around. To give the line work a clean but unpolished look I uses ballpoint pens. It's a decidedly pedestrian tool, but it's one that I've doodled with my whole life. Whether it's a personal connection or not, I do think that it creates a very familiar aesthetic and, therefore, a more relatable story.
I hand lettered the whole story, again to make everything more personable, and more interestingly I left off any sort of word balloons. Well, there is empty white space for the words, but no marks to remove the words from the pictures. Also in my scripting I avoided any sort of dialogue between the characters. I'm trying to share the story as if I was telling it to the reader while illustrating what I discuss. I feel like this conversational tone will be one more step into making the piece feel as personal and relatable as I can make it.
Can't wait to completely switch gears for the next story! Until next week.
- Jon O